Thursday, October 15, 2009 | By: Wa@Wawek@Siti ;)

>>> I'm Engaged!!! <<<

Hehe... It's been...geeesshhh! I actually couldn't remember when I got engaged. Hold on. Let me see the calendar...em...it was the 4th day of Eid which is the 23rd of September 2009. So, it's actually, has been 3 weeks since I officially became someone's fiance. Heh... It wasn't really planned at all. The engagement thingy that is. We did discussed on having he's family over to meet my family and officially saying that their son is interested in me and we want to get married. Hehe... Whilst planning this get together, his mom then said that she thinks it's better for us to get engaged.

For Malays, it's not as simple as a guy proposing to a girl, and when the girl says Yes, they're officially engaged. For us, it's all about family. The guy will have to tell his family that he wants to have a girl's hand in marriage. The guy's family then will have to come and meet with the girl's family and ask if they would accept the proposal. The girl would and should probably inform and discuss with her family about this in advance. I guess if a girl's parents and family doesn't approve, they can say no to the guy's family on the day when they actually came to propose; which I don't think ever happens. Not if the girl does want to get married with the guy that is. For the more traditional Malay families, during engagement ceremony, they will be discussing on the details beyond how long the engagement will take and deciding on the wedding date; they would discuss on what will happen if the engagement is off i.e. if the girl broke off the engagement, what will she have to give back to the guy; and I even heard there's like a specific book of reference for all the matter concerning engagement. That's how serious it gets. Erm... I hope I didn't make anyone confused. Huhuhu...

For me, however, the discussion that took place was brief. It only took about half an hour of discussion; whereby they decided how long we're going to be engaged and when's the big day going to be; and then everyone enjoyed nasi beriani and satay. Yummy!!! Ah yes, there was a placing-the-engagement-ring-on-my-finger ceremony. His mom did the honours. It was kinda funny and silly me! Anyways, I was really glad as I had all my family members with me that night. The ceremony which is a result of a 2-3 days of planning, wouldn't have gone as smooth as it did if not for the help of everyone. I'm grateful to God and I have only Him to return the deed to everyone. I've got heaps of pictures for everyone to enjoy on my Facebook page.


Again, many many thanks to everyone especially my family for having this memorable event of my life a great one and to everyone who have wished me well.

As of now, it's only fair if once in a while (or whenever I feel like it..), I'm going to share and have everyone help me while I plan my wedding on my blog, aight? ;) Hehe...

Cheers!

2 comments:

JeP said...

Congrats Wa!! I'm just so darn happy for you! :D

So, when exactly would the nuptials be then?

Wa@Wawek@Siti ;) said...

Thanks Jep! InsyaAllah bulan 2 next year. Details...tungguuuu..hehe...