Monday, December 12, 2011 | By: Wa@Wawek@Siti ;)

First flight, First fall...

Last week, Sunday (December 4th), Aariz went on his first flight. Woohoo! It was a very early start to the day. We stayed at a friend’s place in Brisbane the night before. The flight was scheduled for departure at 5.30 am, so we had to be at the airport by 4.30 am. It took about 20-30 minutes to get to the airport from our friend’s so we were all up by 3 am; including Aariz. We tried to be as quiet as we can to keep him asleep but I guess he just didn’t want to miss out. He was smiling and such a good boy upon waking up. But he did fall back to sleep once we got in the car. Huhuhu... So, after Subuh prayers, we were on our way. Salman and Intan dropped us at the airport and help us look after the car. They’ll also be picking us up when we come back the next day. Yeah, it was a pretty short trip. Oh yeah, we were actually going to Canberra. We have to personally hand in our application to register Aariz’s birth and for his Malaysian passport to the High Commission of Malaysia. No, we can’t have it mailed. Ridiculous eh?! Well, that’ll be another story altogether. Heh... 
Anyways, we did not have any checked-in baggage but we did bring along Aariz’s stroller. So, after checking-in using one of the Virgin Australia’s self-check-in machines, we went to the baggage drop-off counter. We were so clueless! Jakun sebenarnye kot... Haha! Mr.Hubby was all ready to check-in the stroller when we were told that we don’t necessarily have to do it then. It turns out we could pass the stroller to the ground crew at the boarding gate as soon as it opens if we wanted to. It’s certainly more convenient so we just got the tag for the stroller and we’re on our way. Brisbane’s domestic terminal was surprisingly quite busy. Not crazy busy as when we got back from Canberra the next evening but I didn’t think anyone else was as crazy as us to get a 5 o’clock in the morning flight. Great minds think alike I guess – cheaper flight tickets save money. Hahaha! We decided to go through security and wait around the boarding hall. We were all over security! Should the stroller be folded and put through the scanner or just wheel it through? Take out the toys on the stroller and put in the tray or just leave them? Carry the baby through or put him in the tray through the scanner?! Hahaha! The last one was made up but yeah it was a bit of a scene. It was as if the security officers have never dealt with passengers with a baby that have their strollers with them. Oh, I was also tested for drugs! Huhuhu... Anyway, all was good. We went to get a bottle of juice, a packet of sandwich and a bottle of water (that costs us a crazy $17! I’ve forgotten how expensive airports can be!). We were thinking of having a bite before boarding, but turns out it was time to board. A crew actually came to us and asked if we could pass the stroller to her (which is nice!) and then we actually got to board the flight straightaway. First ones on board! Woohoo! Haha! I was a bit nervous as I did not read or search the internet to find out how it would be or what to do when on flights with a baby. I just asked my sister, Yan. She told me the crew will have an infant seatbelt for Aariz if it’s a short flight and we could request for a bassinet if it’s a long one. And to have Aariz sucking on something for take-offs and landings meaning me feed Aariz. Huhuhu... True enough, a crew came to me and hand me the infant seatbelt. I’ve never used it before so she showed me how it works. Pretty easy, Aariz’s seatbelt was the same as ours but he’s could be slide onto mine, so it’s like we’re connected, inseparable. Heh... Aariz played a bit and we took photos before taking off. The take-off, was a breeze and Aariz slept all the way through. So did the parents! Huhu... Aariz didn’t wake up until we were truly in the arrival hall in Canberra airport. By the way, what’s with the airport? We were impressed at first because they have a prayer room but then we realized there was no information centre/counter what-so-ever. There was just a Qantas counter and car-hire counters at the arrivals and check-in counters at the departures a level up. That’s it. Huhuhu... But Canberra city was very interesting. Just wish we could stay longer. Hopefully get to tell about our 2 days there later. Anyway, the flight back to Brisbane was busier but Aariz was fine. Slept through the flight and was happy as he can be. He didn’t know though how scary the landing was. It wasn’t smooth at all. I was freaking out! The plane was shaking frantically and it seems like it was out of control. But Alhamdulillah everything was fine. We arrived in Brisbane at 6.30 pm and were at Salman and Intan’s by 8 pm. Crazy traffic! Huhuhu... I didn’t really know what to expect when I thought of flying with Aariz for the first time but now that we’ve done it, I could say it was a good experience for us all. 
Are we there, yet?
Wonder what's in front of me...
Heading home people!
Too much back-light?! Huhuhu...
Tak nak duduk diam!

Ready for take-off! Hehehe...
Aariz’s first flight was something we knew would happened weeks before when we booked the tickets and all but the next thing that happened, I did not see this coming at all. Aariz had his first fall Saturday night (really hope it’s the last too!). He fell off the bed! Luckily our room has built in carpets, quite thick comfy ones. Huhuhu... Nonetheless, the moment seeing him face-down on the carpet after the fall was a sight I would remember forever. I don’t think I could forget! Never leave a baby that has learned to roll over on the bed by himself. Lesson learned; unfortunately the hard way for me! I’ve just bathed Aariz and he was all wrapped in his towel. I was about to dress him when I realized I did not have his clothes. So, I went to grab it. I was sure that I left him in the middle of the bed but as I turned around having his PJs in my hand, I heard Aariz cried and saw him on the floor. Mr.Hubby was frying out some squids when this happened but he came running towards Aariz just as I did. Both of us were frantically checking Aariz for any scratch or bruise or anything and trying to figure out if he’s in pain anywhere on his body. After a cuddle and my boobies, Aariz was all calm and gave us a smile. He then played a bit like his usual self and went to sleep not long after. I was still a bit shaky later that night and even thinking about it as I write this, I feel so bad and wished I was more careful. Mr.Hubby and I sometimes asked ourselves and tried to imagine how Aariz managed to roll over in a blink of an eye and fell. We also wished it didn’t happen but I guess there’s nothing we can do about it now. Thank God Aariz’s fine and we’ll definitely be more careful and always have Aariz supervised. InsyaAllah. 
A week it was. 

Cheers!

2 comments:

Azian Elias said...

Salam kenal..

my first experience bawak my son naik flight mmg mengharukan.. Menangis je.. bila nak take off..

fazilah:g said...

Aariz dah besar! And kulit dia nampak ok dah ek. :)